The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum, regarded as one of the most important museums in Europe, is located in the center of Heraklion city. During the Venetian occupation period the Catholic Monastery of Saint Francisco used to be in the same place. Until it's destruction in the earthquake of 1856, it had been one of the richest and most important monasteries in Crete and had contained great Byzantine frescos. The construction of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum started in the beginning of the 20th century and was completed by 1940.
On the ground floor of the museum there are 13 rooms open to the public while on the 1st floor fragments of the original frescos from the Minoan Palace of Knossos are exhibited. All exhibits in the Heraklion Museum come exclusively from archaeological sites in Crete. The exhibits of the museum are arranged chronologically.